Common College Application Essay Questions
One of the most nerve-wracking times in the life of a teenager is when the time comes to apply to college. It is difficult to decide where to apply to, and no matter how good your grades are, you wonder if you will get into the school you want to attend. The admission process does not have to be scary, though, with a little preparation, you can set yourself up for success!
When applying for college, one of the most important elements of the application process is the essay question. Whether you must answer one or two or ten questions, your answers will be what set you apart from other straight "A" students. Since the answers can decide whether you get to attend the college of your dreams, it is a good idea to practice with some sample essay prompts.
Sample College Application Essay Questions
It helps to know what kinds of questions you might face, so that you can begin formulating your answers. It is important to be honest, be yourself, and be creative. Here are some common questions that you may face while applying for college:
- Name a difficult and/or challenging experience you have faced in your life. Discuss how it has made you the person you are today. Example essay: Essay on most significant personal experience
- Describe a person who has had a significant impact or influence on you. How have they affected your life?
- Why should you be accepted to (insert school name here)? Example essay: Sample entrance essay for criminal justice degree
- Name and discuss a problem or issue that is of great importance to you. How do you feel this problem should be handled/solved? Example essay: Essay on unpopular decision
These are just examples of a few possible questions you may run into. Remember that practicing your writing skills will only help you become a better, more confident writer. So get all the practice you can!
Important Tips for Answering College Essay Prompts
There are several steps you can follow to ensure that your essay prompts are answered in the best way possible. First of all, give yourself plenty of time to answer them. Do not wait until the last minute to fill out the application. You will need to read the prompts, brainstorm for ideas, complete a rough draft, proofread and revise, and then complete your final copy. As you can imagine, this takes some time.
It is a good idea to let someone else you trust read your answers. Sometimes they may catch spelling or grammar errors that you missed. In addition, they will be able to give you an honest opinion of the impression they get of you from your answers.
Common Mistakes Made While Answering Essay Questions
- Not answering the question. Don't skip around the question trying to be creative!
- Trying too hard to impress. Make sure you use a formal language, but don't feel like you have to use the thesaurus for every word. Don't brownnose or try to make yourself sound smarter than you really are.
- Plagiarizing your essay answers will ensure that you will not get into the school of your dreams.
- Grammar and spelling errors. You must make sure that you have NO errors of this kind in your paper. This is another great reason to give yourself a lot of time to complete your answers.
Applying for college is a stressful event. However, with a little effort, you can make sure that you stand out from other students with great essay answers. Give yourself plenty of time, and make sure to avoid the mistakes listed above. Then you'll be one step closer to attending the college of your dreams!